Saturday, October 15, 2011

Ventura Beach Walk


Thursday, October 13

What a wonderful morning I had on the beach!

Yesterday evening the booming of the surf seemed to be right outside the boat it was so loud. You expected to hear the crash and then feel the boat roll. We did feel the waves, not like they are on the ocean rolling the boat or lifting it but instead short twists as we surged forward, the spring line tensioned, and we were snubbed against the dock. It wasn’t uncomfortable but a bit annoying. Later Charlie fixed the springs crossing and extending them adding stretch to absorb the rocking.

The sound of the surf still held my attention this morning, reminding me of my plan from last night to get off on an early walk toward the protected part of the beach that Jake had mentioned. Binoculars in hand I strode off across the 4 lane boulevard that runs along the ocean front here. Sometimes it really works to push off on your own.

There is a heavy board fence between the street and the beach, too tall to scale, and few crosswalks, actually only one that I saw in the mile or so stretch I explored. This makes it necessary to know where to get through to the sand, but is probably good for the dune structure. The municipal powers seem to be working on building up the dunes, a dream job for a few overgrown boys roaring around in giant yellow John Deere bucket loaders this morning.

I walked along near the harbor entry breakwaters at first. Willets and a few dowagers were foraging in the wet sand. Further along an enormous flock of gulls sat out the morning. Mostly Western and Heerman’s but some California and a few royal terns that occasionally made fishing dives. I crossed the road, checked out the unopened stores in the “harbor village” and then crossed where a few surfers were cooking breakfast on the back flaps of their pickups.

At the dunes I read a warning about the protection of birds on this section of beach, in particular the snowy plovers and least terns. I walked along seeing no one and no birds until a little rolling motion in the sand caught my eye. It wasn’t sand in motion, it was a small bird. Suddenly the whole beach was rearranging itself. I’d practically trampled a flock of 50 or so snowy plovers. They are so perfectly camouflaged for the sand color that hunkered down in the shallow sand pits you really don’t notice them. They were also very calm and let me walk to within 15 or so feet before walking off. None flew but their large eyes fixed on me and I knew when a couple ran off a ways that I’d come to the limit of their personal space.

Later I treated myself to a haircut for about twice what I pay in Seattle. (Martine, you should be pleased.) At the boat we did a little boat maintenance including teaching me how to pump up the water pressure (lucky I had brought my mini bike pump.) Then we rode over to return the visit with Jake. His boat has several clever additions including a stern anchor bracket. He has learned to sew like a pro. He designed and made his sail cover and dodger! Very nice.

The afternoon temps hit 93 here with not a cloud in the sky. At least there were bike lanes wherever we rode and the harbor path isn’t next to a road. It was peaceful riding around the high rent district of Ventura Key, a sort of water maze where everyone has a dock with a boat tied to it and all the trees are palm.

By evening we needed to make our nut as Charlie used to say. Not having finished the last item on my list, I got out the scissors and with the assist of an icy margarita made it a twofer haircut day.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't be more proud! :) I'm jealous of hot temps and margaritas but we'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete